What happens when people become data?
The Demos Project asks what it means to be a person who is/is not represented in data. We explore the following questions through our research:
- How are people represented in data? How are communities of people represented in data?
- How do data-driven research methods, algorithms, and data structures impact how people are represented, or not represented, in research?
- How do we recover the voices of otherwise lost or less visible subjects through new and emerging data methodologies?
- Where have “big data” representations been used to exploit people groups or reproduce colonial agendas?
- How do we reconcile the need for increased data representation with the need for data privacy?
Tarez Graban, Allen Romano, Sarah Stanley, Judith Pascoe